Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Ghost Raiser.


Daily evening star.
Washington, D.C.
May 21, 1853
~no author listed~


My uncle Beagley, who commenced his commercial career very early in the present century as a bagman, will tell stories. Among them, lie tells his single ghost story so often, that I am heartily tired of it. In self-defence, therefore, I publish the tale, in order that when next he good, kind old gentleman offers to bore us with it, everybody may say they know it. I remember every word of it.

One tine autumn evening, about forty years ago. I was travelling on horseback from Shrewsbury to Chester. I felt tolerably tired, and was beginning to look out for some snug way side inn where I might pass the night, when a sudden and violent thunder storm came on. My horse, terrified by the lightning, fairly took the bridle between his teeth, and started off with me at full gallop, through lanes and cross-roads, until at last I managed to pull him up just near the door of a neat-looking country inn.

"Well" thought I,"there was wit in your madness, old boy, since it brought us to this comfortable refuge." And alighting, I gave him in charge to a stout farmer's boy who acted as ostler. The inn-kitchen which was also the guest¬ room, was large, clean, neat and comfortable, very like the pleasant hostelry described by Izaak Walton. There were several travelers already in the room, probably, like myself, driven there for shelter - and they were all warming themselves by the blazing fire while waiting for supper. I joined the party. Presently, being summoned by the hostess, we all sat down, twelve in number, to a smoking repast of bacon and eggs, corned beef and carrots, and stewed hare.

 The conversation naturally turned on the mishaps occasioned by the storm, of which every one seemed to have his full share. One had been thrown off his horse: another, driving in a gig, had been upset into a dyke: all had got a thorough wetting, and agreed unanimously that it was dreadful weather a regular witches' Sabbath!

"Witches and ghosts prefer for their sabbath a fine moonlight night to such weather as this!"

These words were uttered in a solemn tone and with strange emphasis, by one of the company. lie was a tall dark looking man, and I had set him down in my own mind as a traveling merchant or pedlar. My next neighbor was a gay, welllooking, fashionably dressed young man, who, bursting into a peal of laughter said:

"You must know the manner and customs of ghosts very well, to be able to tell that they dislike getting wet or muddy."

The first speaker, giving him a dark, fierce look, said: "Young man, speak I not so lightly of things above your comprehension."

"Do you mean to imply that there are such things as ghosts?"

"Perhaps there are, if you had courage to look at them."

The young man stood up, flushed with anger. But presently resuming his seat, ! he said, more calmly : "That taunt should cost you dear, if it were not such a foolish one."

"A foolish one!" exclaimed the merchant, throwing on the table a heavy leathern purse. "There are fifty guineas. I am content to lose them, before the hour is ended, if I do not succeed in showing you, who are so obstinately prejudiced, the form of any one of your deceased friends; and if, after you have recognized him, you will allow him to kiss your lips."

We all looked at each other, but my young neighbor, still in the same mocking manner, replied ; "You will do that, will you ?"

"Yes," said the other, "I will stake these fifty guineas, on condition that you pay a similar sum if you lose."

After a short silence the young man said, gaily: "Fifty guineas, my worthy sorcerer, are more than a poor college sizar ever possessed : but here are live, which, if you are satisfied, I shall be most willing to wager."

The other took up his purse, saying, in a contemptuous tone: "Young gentleman. you wish to draw back?"

"I draw back!" exclaimed the student, "Well, if 1 had the fifty guineas, you should see whether I wish to draw back!"

"Here," said I, "are four guineas, which I will stake on your wager." No sooner had I made this proposition than the rest of the company, attracted by the singularity of the affair, came forward to lay down their money: and in a minute or two and fifty guineas were subscribed. The merchant appeared so sure of winning, that he placed all the stakes in the student's hand and prepared for his experiment. We selected for the purpose a small summer house in the garden, perfectly isolated, and having no means of exit but a window and door, which we carefully fastened, after placing the young man within.

We put writing materials in a small table in the summer-house, and took away the candles. We remained outside, with the pedlar amongst us. In a low, solemn voice, he began to chant the following lines:

"What riseth slow from the ocean caves
And the stormy surf?

The phantom pale sets his blackened foot

 On the fresh green turf."

Then raising his voice, solemnly, he said:

"You asked to see your friend, Francis Villiers, who was drowned, three years ago, off the coast of South America - what do you see?"

"See," replied the student, "a white light arising near the window, but it has no form : it is like an uncertain cloud."

We - he spectator - remained profoundly silent.

"Are you afraid?" asked the merchant in a loud voice.

"I am not," replied the student firmly. After a moment's silence, the pedlar stamped three times on the ground, and sang:

"And the phantom white, whose clay-cold face

Was once so fair.

Dries with his shroud his clinging vest

And his sea-tossed hair."

Once more the solemn question: "You, who would see  revealed the mysteries of the tomb what do you see now?"

The student answered in a calm voice, but like that of a man describing things as they pass before him.

"I see the cloud taking the form of a phantom : its head is covered with a long veil - it stands still."

"Are you afraid?"

"I am not."

We looked at each other in a horror-stricken silence, while the merchant raising his arm above his head, chanted, in a peculiar voice-

"And the phantom said, as he rose from the

wave,

He shall know me in sooth!

I will go to my friend, gay, smiling and fond. )

As in our first youth !"

"What do you see?" said he.

"I see the phantom advance: he lifts his veil. 'Tis Francis Villiers! he approaches the table. He writes 'tis his signature!"

"Are you afraid?"

A fearful moment of silence ensued: then the student replied, but in an altered voice.

"I am not."

With strange and frantic gestures, the merchant then sung:

"And the phantom said to the mocking sneer.

I come from the South America.

Put thy hand on my hand thy heart on my heart,

Thy mouth on my mouth!"

"What do you see?"

" He comes - he approaches - he pursues me - he is stretching out his arms. ; he will have me! Help ! help ! Save me!"

"Are you afraid, now?" asked the merchant in a mocking voice.

A piercing cry, and then a stifled groan were the only answer to the terrible question.

"Help that rash youth!" said the merchant bitterly. " I have, I think, won the wager: but it is sufficient for me to have given him a lesson. Let him keep his money for the future."

He walked rapidly away, We opened  the door of the summer house, and found the student in convulsions. A paper signed with the name "Francis Villiers," was found upon the table.

As soon as the student's senses were restored, he asked vehemently where was the vile sorcerer who had subjected him to such a horrible ordeal he would kill him.

He sought him throughout the inn in vain. Then, with a speed of a madman, he dashed across the fields in pursuit of him - and we never saw either of them again. That, children, is my Ghost Story.

"And how is it, Uncle, that after that, you don't believe in ghosts?" said I, the first time I heard it.

“Because, my boy," replied my Uncle, "neither the student nor the merchant ever returned, and the forty-five guineas, belonging to me and the other traveller, continued equally invisible. These two swindlers carried them off, after having acted a farce, which we, like ninnies, believed to be real."

No comments:

Post a Comment